Steps to replicate the issue-
1. Go to Navigator and open the list view of the Knowledge Bases by clicking the Knowledge base module.
2. Open any existing or create a new Knowledge Base.
3. Now go to the Knowledge Category section, click new button and create new category.
4. Now go to the portal and click on the Knowledge base.
5. Could see the test category created in step 3 will appear even though there are no knowledge Articles under them.
The categories under the Knowledge bases should not show if there are no articles under the category.
The categories under the Knowledge bases are showing up in the portal even though there are no articles created under those categories .
Release or Environment
This is configured by an instance option "check_access_per_category" on the widget.
Need to set this to '1' to have at least one accessible record in the category for the category to show up in the portal.
1) Access https://<instancename>.service-now.com/sp_instance.do?sys_id=xyz
2) In the additional Options field change the " check_access_per_category " to 1 as below