It seems the KB Widget cannot handle Permalink since it does not recognise the parameter "sysparm_article" to search for related articles.
After a Page Reload, the Related Articles gets displayed.
Steps to Reproduce
Issue replicated OOB Orlando instance:
1. View an article in Portal using article sys_id, for example: http://[instance URL]/kb?id=kb_article_view&sys_kb_id=123456789012345678901234567890ab. And notice related article widget shows many articles. (Assuming this article should have many related articles.)
2. Scroll below and select copy permalink.
3. Copied permalink is - http://[instance URL]/kb?id=kb_article_view&sysparm_article=KB99999999
4. Paste and go the permalink in url.
5. Observe elated article widget does not show up.
6. Refresh the page from step 5 and notice related article widget shows up again.
This issue is under review. To receive notifications when more information is available, subscribe to this Known Error article by clicking the Subscribe button at the top right of the article. If you are able to upgrade, review the Fixed In and Intended Fix Version fields to determine whether any versions have or are planned to have a permanent fix.
Related Problem: PRB1405622