Since most customers are working from home these days, there are issues of Connect Chat connectivity and chat messages getting dropped intermittently.
This could also result in chat pop-ups and sound notifications failing at the browser's end.
This article will help you detect if the issue is with the user's network or an issue with the platform.
Release or Environment
All supported releases and versions.
Here are some steps you can perform to narrow down and find the root cause of the issue:
- This could be directly related to the network bandwidth that the agents are using to connect to the instance. Most of them are working from home with less bandwidth as compared to office.
- Ask them to run the test on their instance by going to - <your_instance_name>.service-now.com/$websocket_test.do
- If this test fails, then their current network does not support websockets.
- Also ask them to run a speed test - www.speedtest.net
The websocket test should show a result like this:
1) Send a WebSocket Upgrade Request to the echo endpoint
2) If the server responds with a WebSocket upgrade response, send a frame and start a timer of 3 seconds
[WebSocket network assertion]
If a WebSocket frame does not echo within the 3 second timeout, then WebSockets is considered not to work in this environment
else if a WebSocket frame comes back but is not the same as what was sent, then WebSockets is considered not to work
If a frame comes back within the 3 second time and is the same, WebSockets is working okay in this environment
WEBSOCKET UPGRADE REQUEST SENT FROM CLIENT TO SERVER
THE WEBSOCKET UPGRADE RESPONSE DID NOT COME BACK FROM THE SERVER WITHIN 3000 MS
THE NETWORK TOPOLOGY IS NOT WEBSOCKET FRIENDLY
AN ERROR OCCURED DURING WEBSOCKET CONNECTION
WEBSOCKET CONNECTION CLOSED
CLOSE CODE: 
Please refer to - https://hi.service-now.com/kb_view.do?sysparm_article=KB0786158
As a quick fix user will have to either:
- Restrict the browser tabs so that the network bandwidth is utilized optimally.
- Or, add the property - glide.cometd.websocket.enabled as per the KB mentioned above.
In most cases, the connection is restored within a few seconds.
We also need to validate what kind of network they are using.
- Is it a mobile hotspot (bandwidth will be low and the mobile apps will be using the bandwidth)
- If they are on wifi, we need to check how many devices are connected as that will also affect the bandwidth.
- A network bandwidth above 10 Mbps should be fine, but the above scenarios should also be accounted for.
Some other KBs that you can refer to: