After installing or upgrading the MID Server host to use Oracle JRE version 1.8.0_231, the MID Server is unable to run some programs:
- powershell.exe - The Powershell probes that run for Windows Discovery will fail. There are no responses provided by the probes when running Discovery under these conditions. There are no responses from WMI calls.
- SCOMClient.exe - The Event Management SCOM Connector cannot be started
Oracle Java 8u231 introduced some argument restrictions with commands that are executed through Runtime.exec or ProcessBuilder, which the MID Server uses for launching some PowerShell commands.
Steps to Reproduce
- Install Oracle JRE 1.8.0u231 on the MID Server.
- Run Discovery on a Windows Machine.
- "Windows - Classify" probe does not behave as expected and the discovery stops with no details collected. No subsequent probes/patterns will be launched. The MID Server agent log shows something like:
Worker-Interactive:MultiProbe-ab9731481b458094b9f686ecdc4bcb95 Worker starting: Powershell source: <IP_ADDRESS>
Worker-Interactive:MultiProbe-ab9731481b458094b9f686ecdc4bcb95 DEBUG: Inside Script Runner -- Begining @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@: 06:44:13
Worker-Interactive:MultiProbe-e39731481b458094b9f686ecdc4bcb97 DEBUG: after running the powershell command, ElapsedTime: 06:44:25
Worker-Interactive:MultiProbe-e39731481b458094b9f686ecdc4bcb97 DEBUG: Inside Script Runner - Ending Time: 06:44:25
Worker-Interactive:MultiProbe-e39731481b458094b9f686ecdc4bcb97 Worker completed: WMIRunner source: <IP_ADDRESS> time: 0:00:13.540
- Start an instance of the SCOM Connector
- You will see the following error:
Error running SCOM client: '\"<mid server folder>\agent\extlib\SCOMClient2012<a sys_id>.exe\"' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
SCOM connector failed. '\"<mid server folder> \agent\extlib\SCOMClient2012<a sys_id> .exe\"' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file
- Downgrade to a pre-231 version e.g. Oracle JRE 1.8.0_221. Run same Discovery again, everything works as expected.
Upgrading to the latest version of Oracle JRE, that may have been recommended due to vulnerability management, and is allowed in our documentation, should not break any MID Server functionality.
By installing the new JRE release, Discovery and Event Management does not work as expected.
This problem is currently under review. You can contact ServiceNow Technical Support or subscribe to this Known Error article by clicking the Subscribe button at the top right of this form to be notified when more information will become available.
The workaround is to set the Java system property jdk.lang.Process.allowAmbiguousCommands to true:
- Log in to the MID Server Host, and find the install folder. (The MID Server record in the instance has fields for both Host Name and Home Directory)
- Open the wrapper-override.conf file in a text editor - ./agent/conf/wrapper-override.conf
- Add the following line at the end, and save:
- Restart the MID server service.
Related Problem: PRB1372715