There are Approvals that come in via email, but then get tagged as Desktop approvals.
Steps to Reproduce
1. Make sure the email is configured on the instance and that your user is configured with an email address you have access to.
2. Copy the 'Update Approval Request' inbound action.
3. Edit the copy and change its execution order to 1.
4. Edit the copy and comment out lines 61 and 63:
61:// controller.putGlobal("approvalSource", "email");
5. Order the 'Standard Laptop' default item from the catalog. This should generate OOB an approval for your user.
6. Approve the request via email.
7. Open the sysapproval_approver record and show xml. The approval_source field is set to 'Desktop UI' instead of 'email'.
This problem has been fixed. If you are able to upgrade, review the Fixed In section to determine the latest version with a permanent fix your instance can be upgraded to.
The workaround consists in editing the 'Tracks approval source' business rule on the sysapproval_approver table.
Change line 4 to: if (approvalSource == "email" || typeof email !== undefined )
Related Problem: PRB1352246