We may need to select the model using the model field on different forms like hardware asset, consumable asset, configuration item etc. And sometimes we may see that there are no models populated in the reference pop-up. This article explains how the model reference pop-up is filtered and how populated.
How it Works
For the column "Model" on asset or configuration item forms does have the reference qualifiers that filters the list of models based on the type of record we are creating and its model category etc. And this reference qualifiers makes a call to script include ModelAndCategoryFilters. And it uses different methods for different forms as defined below:
1) Model on Asset Form
The model on the asset form does have the reference qualifier as "new ModelAndCategoryFilters().assetModelRefQual(current)". For the models on the asset form it looks for below criteria:
- Type of asset class (like alm_hardware, alm_consumable, etc..)
- If the model category is defined for this asset class or not. If no category is defined it will add all possible model categories that this asset class allow.
- And it will also add the asset tracking strategy (like "Leave it to Category", "Create Consumable Asset", "Don't Create Assets")
2) Model ID on Configuration Item Form
The model on the asset form does have the reference qualifier as "new ModelAndCategoryFilters().ciModelRefQual(current)". For the models on the asset form it looks for below criteria:
- Allows the models with empty model categories
- OR allow the models with specific model category (defined on that CI class) as well.
3) Check below KBs that describe few issues and solutions with model field on forms