Increasing the Max Length of the sa_discovery_log.log and sa_discovery_log_history.log fields in the Dictionary does not resolve the "Discovery log is too large and could not be saved" Horizontal Discovery Pattern Log error. The limit remains as 4096000 bytes. For some devices, such as large Switches, Routers or Load Balancers, that limit is not big enough.
The Discovery Log in the Discovery Status will show an error like:
Failed Exploring CI Pattern, Pattern name: <Pattern>, To Check Pattern Log Press Here
Discovery log is too large and could not be saved. Log length: <actual size>, Max length: 4096000."
Steps to Reproduce
- Discovery something using the "Netscaler Load Balancer SSH" pattern for example.
- Increase the max length of the sa_discovery_log.log and sa_discovery_log_history.log fields in the Dictionary.
- Rediscover, and the error remains the same. The back-end java class responsible for the error message does not honor the length specified in the dictionary.
This problem has been fixed. If you are able to upgrade, review the Fixed In or Intended Fix Version fields to determine whether any versions have a planned or permanent fix.
The fix allow increasing the Max Length in the Dictionary to work, but does not do that for you. Customers will still need to modify the Dictionary if these fields need increasing to handle >4MB Pattern logs.
These fields can handle up to 16M while still keeping the same mysql medium text data type and so no actual database change is required when doing this.
- As an admin user, Open System Definition -> Dictionary
- Filter the list for Table is sa_discovery_log OR sa_discovery_log_history, AND column name is log
- Personalize the list layout to include the Max Length column
- Set the value of the 2 fields to Max Length = 16777215
Related Problem: PRB1341094