Copy / Paste screenshots directly into Connect Chat messages does not work in Firefox, IE11, and older Chrome versions.
Chrome throws the security error "Exception when adding attachment: is not an authorized file extension" even using white-listed file extensions in the system property glide.attachment.extensions.
Steps to Reproduce
- Login to any instance using IE11.
- Make sure the Connect and Connect Support plugins are activated.
- Open the Connect Sidebar.
- Click the + button to start a new chat.
- Add a user to chat with.
- Take a partial or total screenshot (i.e. using PrintScreen in Windows)
- Without first pasting the screenshot into a file, try pasting the screenshot directly from the clipboard to the Connect Chat message. This fails in IE11.
This functionality never existed in IE, where images can still be added to the Connect Chat using the "Attachments" function.
In Chrome this was caused by an issue with Chromium sending image data as a blob when attempting to get the data as a file. This has now been fixed. Images pasted directly into Connect are now named "image.png" and will be treated as .png files accordingly in the attachment upload restrictions:
Older releases, like Helsinki, may still encounter the "TypeError: Cannot read property 'indexOf' of undefined" on the browser console even after upgrading Chrome to the latest version.
Related Problem: PRB735798