Our documentation lists down a process that could be used to change the source name of Discovery results.
However, changing the value in system property 'glide.discovery.source_name' and disabling the choice list for previous discovery_source can cause horizontal discovery to fail.
This behavior is caused by a bug in the java code that handles horizontal discovery data received from patterns. The code checks the property glide.discovery.source_name only once at class initialization and therefore any changes to the property do not affect it and it will still pass in the original value.
Steps to Reproduce
- Run discovery on a host (Windows/Linux) using horizontal pattern
- Follow the procedure listed in our documentation to change source name of Discovery results.
- Ensure that the sys_choice record for the previous value in glide.discovery.source_name is disabled/removed.
- Run discovery on the same host.
- Discovery should fail with an error like the one below -
In payload invalid data source [<replace with previous discovery_source>] exist. You need to provide a valid choice value from field [discovery_source] in table [cmdb_ci]
This problem has been fixed. If you are able to upgrade, review the Fixed In or Intended Fix Version fields to determine whether any versions have a planned or permanent fix.
Restarting the instance is the only workaround as this is required to re-initialize the java class. Please open a Case in HI if you require Customer Support to arrange this for you.
Related Problem: PRB1330874