If the list layout of a table such as incident is configured adding a dot-walked field that references another table using a Function Definition field as its display value, when trying to open the list the errors below will be traced in the instance log:
Syntax Error or Access Rule Violation detected by database (Unknown column 'cmdb_rel_ci4.u_display' in 'field list')
Caused by: java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: Unknown column 'cmdb_rel_ci2.u_display' in 'field list'
Caused by: org.mariadb.jdbc.internal.common.QueryException: Unknown column 'cmdb_rel_ci2.u_display' in 'field list'
SEVERE *** ERROR *** loadRow failure
Steps to Reproduce
1. Create a reference field to cmdb_rel_ci table on the incident table.
2. Create a new field on cmdb_rel_ci and set Display to true and check "Function Definition" field
3. Add any value to the function definition to the field created on step 2 such as: glidefunction:concat(child)
4. Go to the incident table and configure the list layout
5. Go to the reference field that points to cmdb_rel_ci and add any dot-walked field from this table
6. Go back to the incident list.
The list does not load, as the list layout fails generating the errors listed above.
After carefully considering the severity and frequency of the issue, and the cost and risk of attempting a fix, it has been decided to not address this issue in any current or near future releases. We do not make these decisions lightly, and we apologize for any inconvenience.
As a workaround, changing display=true to the Non-Function Field should remove the errors.
Related Problem: PRB1305370