To be able to receive desktop notifications for Connect Chat, the below settings needs to be enabled.
1) The "Send me desktop notifications" option is selected to true "For all activity" from under the Notification Preferences menu in the Connect chat.
2) From the Setting options in the top right corner on the instance home screen, under "Notifications" section, the "Connect desktop notifications" option is enabled.
In Madrid, you need to click on Notification > Under Notification by Category search for Connect > Enable the Desktop option.
Once both the above settings are done, you would be able to receive the alert for any new Connect chat message even when the chat is running in the background or even if the ServiceNow window is altogether minimized, as shown in the below screenshot:
You would be able to see the name of the user who sent the message, the message content and your instance URL.
Also, make sure to check with the browser notifications settings (Chrome)
It should allow notifications from your ServiceNow instance.
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More Settings.
- At the bottom, click Advanced.
- Under "Privacy and security," click Content settings.
- Click Notifications.
- Choose to block or allow notifications:
Jakarta & higher versions
- When on normal portal page, end user will not get any notification for a chat.
- When on portal, user will get sound notification for a 1 - 1 chat, but they cannot join the chat.
4. To join the chat the user will have to go back to native UI.
If the above steps still don't show the Connect Desktop Notification:
- Clear the complete browser cache, and close all browser tabs.
- Allow pop-ups and notifications in the browser for your instance.