Important thing to be noted before creating a Unique Index:
- The 'unique' field on the dictionary record is NOT intended to be used from the UI. It might create an unique index on the current instance but it DOES NOT create a sys_index_* customer update record, thus fails to create an unique index on the target instance when the update set is committed.
- The 'Unique' field is not added on the dictionary form by default (OOB), hence, this is NOT the recommended usage.
- Unique Index MUST be created via sys_db_object form ('Tables' module or 'Tables & Columns' module) only so that it creates a sys_index_* update record and on subsequent commit of this update set on Target instance, Unique index will be successfully created on the DB
Steps to follow in order to create a Table Index:
- Navigate to System Definition > Tables.
- In the list, find the table you want and click its label.
- Navigate to the Database Indexes related list.
- Click New.
- In the Index Name field, type a name for your index.
- Use the slush bucket to select the fields you want included in the index.
The order in which you select the fields affects how the index works. If you do not have expertise in database design, we suggest you consult someone who does.
- To create a unique index, check the Unique Index box.
- Click Create Index.