Inconsistent behaviour is seen when a user with no role opens the instance URL in different browser tabs. The defined redirect to the Service Portal does not always work, causing sometimes the desktop application to be displayed.
In the first tab, the defined redirect to the Service Portal works as required.
In the second tab, the redirect does not occur, instead the regular desktop application is displayed.
In the third tab, the redirect to the service portal works.
In the fourth tab, the desktop application is displayed.
With every new tab, this continues alternating between redirect to the Service Portal and displaying the desktop.
Steps to Reproduce
This problem has been reproduced with Chrome and Firefox browsers.
1. As system administrator, configure the instance security so that users with no roles get redirected to the Service Portal.
2. Modify the system property glide.entry.page.script to the value "new SPEntryPage().getLoginURL()".
3. Create the new system property glide.entry.first.page.script with the value "new SPEntryPage().getFirstPageURL()".
4. Open the instance homepage and notice the Service Portal landing page is displayed: /sp/?id=landing
5. As demo user abel.tuter or any ESS user, the application gets redirected to the service portal index page: /sp/
6. Open a second browser to the instance homepage again and observe there is no redirect to the Service Portal. The desktop application is displayed and user has only access to the Self Service, Reset Password and Collaborate modules in the application navigator.
The last two steps 5-6 can be repeated observing alternate display behaviour each time on different browser tabs.
This problem is under review. You can Subscribe to this article to receive notifications when more information will become available. As a workaround, use one of the redirection methods below:
- Role based redirection using a UI Script: https://community.servicenow.com/community?id=community_question&sys_id=4c8543eddbd8dbc01dcaf3231f9619d7
- End user redirection using the property "glide.entry.loggedin.page_ess" https://community.servicenow.com/community?id=community_blog&sys_id=53bc6e25dbd0dbc01dcaf3231f9619b2
Related Problem: PRB1253066