Users experience the message counter indicator displaying a number of messages, but when they open the sidebar there are no messages.
Release or Environment
Live_group_member records for the user experiencing the issue may be the cause.
- Navigate to the live_group_member table
- Search for live_group_member records for the user in question
- Export these records to an XML file
- Delete these records from the instance
- Test as the user again
- If the issue is gone, then reimport these records and test deleting these records in batches until you can narrow down which records are causing the issue
If this does not resolve the issue then you may be experiencing something different such as the max_waiters issue documented in KB0655956 - Queued AMB messages can push session waiters beyond "Max Waiters" threshold resulting in ignored requests (login required).