Internet Explorer 11 - Not Recommended Browser
Recommend Migrating to Modern Browser
ServiceNow recommends that customers utilize a modern browser for it's products and migrate away from Internet Explorer 11 due to significant performance issues.
Significant Performance Issues Compared to Modern Browsers
Internet Explorer 11 can be considerably slower, sometimes up to 2 times slower, when compared to other modern browsers on the ServiceNow platform. Internet Explorer 11 is considered a legacy browser and is not recommended from a perspective of performance.
Reasons for sub-optimal performance in Internet Explorer 11
- AngularJS (modern web development framework)
- Starting in Fuji, ServiceNow began to use Angular JS which creates some additional overhead for browsers
- Utilization of modern web and development standards
- Migration of UI15 to UI16
- In Geneva+ ServiceNow migrated from UI15 to UI16 utilizing a lot more client-side functionality. This exacerbates Internet Explorer 11 performance issues.
- Browser memory leaks
Microsoft Statement on IE11 issues
Lastly, Microsoft is no longer fixing feature bugs (including this issue) and will be providing only security-related fixes for IE11.
Microsoft bug reports
ServiceNow Workarounds (If Unable to Migrate)
- Reduce number of records in lists to 20
- Reduce memory footprint of client-side code (custom UI scripts, client scripts, UI policies, revert to UI15, etc.)
- Request end users to completely close and reopen their browsers after they have been in use for extended periods of time
- Open all forms and lists outside of an iFrame on a separate tab
- Disable automatic spell checking in IE11
Additionally, refer to the following Community post on Internet Explorer 11 process leaks memory in Windows 7
ServiceNow Product Documentation | Browser Support
Gartner Report | Applying Bimodal to Browser Strategies: Legacy and Modern