Instance rename policy for customers
Naming conventions for instances:
- Production and/or sub-production instances cannot contain the word 'demo' or 'pov' or 'poc' as a suffix.
- Instance names can be alphanumeric.
- Instance renames cannot be submitted for demonstration instances.
- Instance names cannot contain special characters (e.g. $, %, &, -, *).
- If the new instance name has 3 characters or below, additional review and approval is required.
|Note: Production instance rename requests are to be requested through Customer Support and cannot be submitted using the Service Catalog.|
Before requesting rename
- If using SSO through the Multi-Provider SSO plugin please check each of your Identity Provider records (Multi-Provider SSO > Identity Provider) and update any URLs in those settings which point to the old instance name.
- If inbound WebService Integrations are present, every Inbound (to the SN instance) 3rdParty WebService (including SN ODBC) Integration will have to update the URL pointing to the new instance URL.
- When using a Proxy to access the instance which is mapping the instance URL, please update that accordingly pointing to the new one. The same goes for "Vanity URL" if applicable.
- When using Edge Encryption Proxy, we strongly advise you to update the Proxy server properties in order to have that to repoint to right instance URL.
- When using MID server note that you will have to change the MID Server configuration to have the MID to point to the new Instance URL.
- If using "forwarding rule" on your email infrastructure to forward email to the ServiceNow instance please change the "forward-to" email address to make it match the new email address.
- When using your own email infrastructure will not be affected by the instance rename.
- If the instance has not been configured yet, ServiceNow will provision a new instance with the new name and deprecate the old one. CS- Admin team will contact your Territory Manager in order to perform this request and retire the old instance.
- There will be approx. 2 hours of downtime for the SUB- production Instance and 15 minutes downtime for the Production instance that will be renamed prior to the pre-defined cutover.
- New instance and old instance URL are simultaneously available for 2 business days and replicating each instance's changes. By default, ServiceNow retains the old URL for 2 business days. It can retain the old URL for up to 7 days.
- After the rename cut-over, please do not run any automations running against the instance that is being renamed.
- After the rename cut-over, please be aware that clone functionality for your instance may be disabled for up to 2 to 7 business days (depending on the chosen availability of the old URL) as we proceed with cleanup for this maintenance operation.
- Email settings are reset to OOB settings and updated to reflect the new instance name. This change is made after the new instance URL becomes available. *Any inbound emails sent to the old instance email may be lost after this change has been made. * You will likely need to update the email settings in your instance to reflect any previously implemented customization.