The Auto-Complete feature with reference variables does not work when the target table display field is a translated text, when the instance language is switched to any language other than English.
Steps to Reproduce
1. On an early Jakarta instance, activate an I18N language plugin like French, but stay on default English activated.
2. Set a catalog item with one reference variable in it.
3. Set the reference variable to point to a table which has translated text field as their display name.
4. For example sc_cat_item:
set the reference to be simple,
set filter active=true
set atrrbiutes to "ref_auto_completer=AJAXTableCompleter,ref_ac_columns_search=true,ref_ac_columns=category"
5. Set a couple of catalog items with name starting with the keyword "test", and make sure the French translations created for them in the sys_tranlated_text table also have names starting with "test".
6. Set the catalog items above to active=false to test the reference qualifier set at step 4.
7. Open the catalog item and click on Try.
8. Test the reference qualifier via entering the keyword "test". It will return data which matches with the filter and qualifier set at step 4.
9. Switch the instance language to French.
10. Try the same catalog item with the reference variable with the keyword "test".
On pre-Jakarta instances the system used to fetch the items which are not active as well, so the reference qualifier is not honoured. Since Jakarta, the Autocomplete does not work at all in a non-English language.
Related Problem: PRB1246836