New KB Categories created through the category picker by a knowledge administrator do not have a Parent ID set, so they are not listed under the intended Knowledge Base.
Steps to Reproduce
- Login as knowledge_admin
- Open any Knowledge article by navigating to Knowledge > All
- Click on magnifying glass icon to open the Category picker
- Create a new category and confirm
Observe the article category is set to the one just created, but is not listed as a category under the associated Knowledge Base.
The issue is due to blocking ACLs on kb_category.parent_id, kb_category.parent_table fields to knowledge_admin role.
As a workaround on older instances, please perform the following:
- Elevate your permission to security admin
- As a security admin, navigate to System Security > Access Control
- Open the write operation ACLs for the fields kb_category.parent_id and kb_category.parent_table and for each of these two complete the following:
- Change the script from answer = false to answer = true
- Change the roles to be admin and knowledge_admin
- Save and update the ACL
Related Problem: PRB1243937