Quickly identifying the causes of homepage slowness
The number one performance issue that ServiceNow admins face is slow homepages. ServiceNow uses a very open homepage configuration model that allows most users unlimited access to set up and change their homepage.
Identifying the gauge or report causing homepage slowness
This three-step process is a useful way to quickly identify which gauge or report is causing homepage slowness.
- Navigate to System Diagnostics > Session Debug > Debug Homepage Render.
- Impersonate the user reporting the issue.
- At the bottom of the page, the render time per gauge/report is recorded. Anything over 2 seconds is too slow.
Improving homepage slowness after identifying problematic gauge or report
Following are three common ways to improve a slow homepage after identifying which gauge/report is slow;
- Add the filter Active=True to make most gauges and reports much faster.
- Remove the gauge or report from the user's homepage and move the list or report to the user's favorite list.
- If the user reporting the issue has changed from the default row count to something greater than 20 and the slow gauge or report is a list, try changing the row count back to 20.
- Navigate to User Administration > User Preference.
- filter on Name = rowcount and the user
- filter on the URL https://INSTANCENAME.service-now.com/sys_user_preference_list.do?sysparm_query=name%3Drowcount then filter on the user