Including variables in a variable set causes issues with reporting on Service Catalog variables.
Steps to Reproduce
Set up item
This procedure assumes that the demo data is installed.
- Navigate to Service Catalog > Catalog Definitions > Maintain Items.
- Open a record to target sc_req_item (for example, Office Desktop).
Note that there is one regular Variable for the item, Special software requirements.
- Under the Variable Sets related list, click Edit.
- Move common_comments over to the right, and Save.
- Enter the common_comments record via the Variable Sets related list.
- Click New for the common_comments Variables related list, and add a variable to the set.
For example, set the Type to Multi Line Text.
- For this example: In the Question form section, set the Question field to "Any additional notes or comments?", and Name to addl_notes_comments.
Create a request (and requested item)
- Navigate to Self-Service > Service Catalog.
- In the Hardware category, select Office Desktop.
- Enter text into both input boxes.
- Click Order Now.
Note that when you select the created Request, and then the related Requested Item record, both variables are shown: Special software requirements and Any additional notes or comments?, the new variable contained within the common_comments variable set.
Build a report
- Navigate to Reports > View / Run > Create a report.
- Set the Table to Requested Item [sc_req_item].
- Set the report Type as List.
- Click Add Filter Condition, and add the filter [Item] [is] [Office Desktop].
- In the built-in Available / Selected columns slushbucket, scroll down to the bottom of Available.
- Click the Variables [+] option and then click the [+] button that appears between the buckets.
- In the reference pop-up list, navigate to and select Office Desktop.
Note that only Special software requirements is presented as a selectable variable to use as a list report column.
Similarly, variables from variable sets should also be available in the Group by and Stack by fields for Chart Reports, but aren't.
A UI Script is available on SHARE that enables selection of Variables from Variable Sets on releases that don't have the feature built in. The UI Script can be disabled when upgrading to Helsinki because the feature is embedded starting with the Helsinki release.
Related Problem: PRB652692