Unsupported Release Family (End-Of-Life) Upgrades | FAQ
1. What are Unsupported Release Family (End-Of-Life) upgrades?
Unsupported release family (End-of-Life) upgrades are intended to move instances from unsupported release families to supported and more secure versions. Most customers plan and manage their upgrades well in advance of a family becoming unsupported. However, ServiceNow schedules instances for upgrade if they remain on an unsupported version past a stated deadline.
2. Why are Unsupported Release Family (End-Of-Life) upgrades necessary?
ServiceNow is constantly working to protect customer information and the integrity of our product.
Unsupported release family (End-of-Life) upgrades ensure customers gain access to the latest features as well as the latest security, performance, and availability benefits for their instances. ServiceNow strives to give customers advanced notification of upcoming unsupported release family upgrades so customers can plan ahead, test, and upgrade on their own timeline in advance of the unsupported release family upgrade scheduling.
3. Are Unsupported Release Family (End-Of-Life) upgrades the same as the Quarterly Patching Program (QPP)?
In the Quarterly Patching Program, instances on a supported release family are patched to a target version within that release family. This occurs every quarter and is independent of the Unsupported release family upgrades.
4. What is the difference between upgrading and patching?
Upgrading is moving from one release family to another, for example, moving from Geneva to Helsinki.
Patching is moving from one patch level to another within a release family, for example, moving from Helsinki Patch 6 to Helsinki Patch 8.
5. Can a customer stay on an unsupported release family, knowing the risks?
No. Customers must upgrade their instances to supported versions in order to get the latest security, performance, and availability updates.
6. In what quarters are upgrades scheduled?
Upgrades are scheduled within a quarter of that family version becoming unsupported (End-of-Life).
7. Can an upgrade be rescheduled?
Yes, you can reschedule up to three (3) days past your scheduled upgrade date. You can do this through the Instance Upgrade Dashboard in HI by following these steps:
- Log into the ServiceNow Customer Support System (HI).
- Select Manage Upgrades.
- Find the applicable instance.
- In the Actions column, click Modify CHG.
This opens the change request for the upgrade.
- Modify the date and time up to 3 days beyond the scheduled date.
8. What if my testing timeline is different from the date of my scheduled upgrade?
Our hope is that using a regular schedule and consistency will enable customers to plan ahead and upgrade their instance before ServiceNow does the upgrade. However, if there are extenuating circumstances, contact ServiceNow through your communication (COM) record to discuss your testing timeline and impact to your scheduled upgrade.
9. Can I upgrade to a version higher than the target identified?
Yes. You can upgrade to the target version or higher. ServiceNow recommends upgrading to higher families so that your instances can stay on that family for the maximum time before being required to upgrade again.
10. Where can I find information about the latest release?
The ServiceNow Product Documentation site contains in-depth information about all of our releases.
11. If I am in the middle of an upgrade, how does this affect my usual patching schedule?
Patching on supported versions continues each quarter as usual. However, if you need to adjust your patching schedule in a particular quarter while you are completing an unsupported release family (End-of-Life) upgrade, contact ServiceNow through your communication (COM) record.
12. What if the upgrade is scheduled during a change freeze?
ServiceNow communicates Unsupported release family (End-of-Life) upgrade schedules in advance so customers can plan around change freezes, holidays, etc. If there is still an issue with your scheduled upgrade, contact ServiceNow through your communication (COM) record.
13. Who do I contact for questions and issues related to my upgrade schedule?
ServiceNow communicates Unsupported release family (End-of-Life) upgrade schedules in advance so customers can plan around change freezes, holidays, etc. If there is still an issue with your scheduled upgrade, contact ServiceNow through your communication (COM) record. The ServiceNow Community is also a forum to ask questions.
Additional information about the ServiceNow upgrade policy and the currently supported ServiceNow product versions can be found in the documentation pages below: