Each widget on kb_home.do shows the five most recently published articles that match the criteria of the widget. For example, a widget might show articles in the "Microsoft" category of the "IT" topic. If the current user does not have ACL access to one or more of those five most recently published articles, yet they do actually have access to others that match the criteria, those articles to which they do have access do not take the place of the ones they don't have access to in the widget.
This can lead to situations where, for example, if the user does not have access to all five of the most recently published articles, the widget misreports the topic/category as having "no items," yet there are actually items in that topic/category to which the user does have access.
Steps to Reproduce
- Helsinki Patch 1 instance
- Demo data installed
- Open an affected instance.
- Navigate to /kb_home.do?jvar_view_topic=Desktop&sysparm_refer=kb_home.do.
- Note the names of the five articles that are displayed.
- Navigate to /kb_knowledge_list.do?sysparm_query=topic%3DDesktop.
Note that there are many articles (about 12 of them) with the topic "Desktop."
- In the list of articles, find the articles that appeared on kb_home from step 2 and make a note of the article numbers.
- Navigate to /sys_security_acl_list.do?sysparm_query=name%3Dkb_knowledge%5Eoperation%3Dread.
- Set any ACL that appears in the list to Active = false.
- Create a new ACL with the following settings:
Name: Knowledge [kb_knowledge] -- None --
Admin overrides: false
- Number - is not - [first_article_number] AND
- Number - is not - [second_article_number] AND
- Number - is not - [third_article_number] AND
- Number - is not - [fourth_article_number] AND
- Number - is not - [fifth_article_number]
- Navigate back to /kb_home.do?jvar_view_topic=Desktop&sysparm_refer=kb_home.do.
Note that the Desktop > No category widget only displays the text No items.
- The five articles that were showing on kb_home should now be blocked by ACL
- As there are more articles in this topic, they should take the place of the articles that are now being blocked within the widget
- For example, if 12 articles have the topic "Desktop" and five are being blocked by ACL, then there are still seven articles that can be displayed
There is no known workaround for this issue. If you are able to upgrade, review the Fixed In field below to determine the versions that have a permanent fix. You can also subscribe to this known error article (click Subscribe button at the top of the article) to receive notifications when more information is available about this issue.
Related Problem: PRB689562