Note: This procedure is only applicable to some hosted instances, including production and sub-production. Demonstration, On-Premise, Developer instances, Jumpstart instances, Temp instances are excluded from this rename automation. If your need a on-premise instance rename, please create a Case with ServiceNow Technical Support.
ServiceNow has created an automated workflow to support the instance rename process. Customers request an instance rename via a Service Catalog item to create a Change, which is completed using end-to-end automation.
Learn more about this Service Catalog and its benefits on Now Community.
You can request Instance Rename by following these steps:
- Navigate to Now Support (HI)
- Browse to the Service Catalog from left navigation
- Under Instance Management, select Rename an Instance
- Select the instance to rename from the filtered reference field.
Note: If you are having trouble finding your instance, use "*" for a "contains" query.
- Provide new instance name (Please refer Instance rename policy before providing new instance name)
- Select Maintenance Start time from available slots
- Specify how long the old URL should be active after renaming.
Note: By default, ServiceNow retains the old URL for 2 business days. You can request to retain the old URL for up to 7 days.
- Acknowledge disclaimers for rename action and ServiceNow Instance Rename Policy.
- Click on Submit
- A new change request is created for the rename request, and the request is displayed automatically.
- As needed, add people to the Watch list as necessary.
- Click Update.
Please keep in mind the following:
- As a Customer Administrator you can not rename an instance of a child company. If you need to rename your child company instance, you will need to log into child company account to initiate instance rename process.
- As a Partner Administrator, you can not rename your customers' instance. You will have to ask customer administrator of that company to submit instance rename request.
- The change window for the instance rename will appear on the change ticket as the planned start and end time.
- Beginning at the Planned Start Time the instance will not be available for up to 20 minutes.
- Do not run any clones to/from the instance once the rename has started.
- New instance and old instance URLs are simultaneously available for time provided in the request.
- During this time, the cloning functionality is not available.
- After the rename, the following settings may require updating:
- Email settings are reset to the out-of-box values and updated to reflect the new instance name. This change is made after the new instance URL becomes available. Any inbound emails sent to the old instance email may be lost after this change has been made. Customers will likely need to update the email settings in their instance to reflect any previously implemented customization.
- If the customer is using Single Sign On through the Multi-Provider SSO plugin, they will need to check each of their Identity Provider records (Multi-Provider SSO > Identity Provider) and update any URLs in those settings which point to the old instance name.