Requesting a production instance rename
There is no automated feature for production instance renames for customers.
Users will need to contact Customer Support (CS-Administration) who can submit the request on their behalf.
Requesting a non-production instance rename
NOTE: This procedure is only applicable to hosted instances. If the instance is on-premise, please create an incident for CS - Administration to engage Hi Administration vi a TASK to change the instance name on Hi.
Users can request an instance rename for non-production instances using the Service Catalog, instead of submitting their request as an incident or contacting Customer Support.
1. Navigate to hi.service-now.com
2. Click on Service Catalog and, under Instance Management, click Rename an Instance.
3. In Please select the Instance, specify the instance to rename from the filtered reference field. (If you are having trouble finding your instance, use "*" for a "contains" query.)
- Reminder: Production instance rename requests are to be requested through Customer Support.
4. Specify the expected date for renamed instance to be available.
|Note: Add the date you would like the cut over to happen. This date MUST be at least 3 days from the day you are opening your rename ticket.|
5. Specify how long the old URL should be active after renaming.
|Note: By default, ServiceNow retains the old URL for 2 business days. It can retain the old URL for up to 7 days.|
6. Review the ServiceNow naming policy (KB0550841) to avoid naming-convention conflicts and delays in processing. Check the box right next to it.
7. Click Submit.
- A new change request is created for the rename request, and the request is displayed automatically.
- As needed, add people to the Watch list and any Additional comments as necessary.
8. Click Update.
- (Quick Link to Change Form)
Please keep in mind the following:
1. All renames require a lead time of 3 calendar days to process.
2. The change window for the instance rename will appear on the change ticket as the planned start and end time.
3. Beginning at the Planned Start Time the instance will not be available for up to 20 minutes.
4. Do not run any clones to/from the instance once the rename has started.
5. New instance and old instance URLs are simultaneously available for time provided in the request.
- During this time, the cloning functionality is not available.
6. After the rename, the following settings may require updating:
- Email settings are reset to the out-of-box values and updated to reflect the new instance name. This change is made after the new instance URL becomes available. Any inbound emails sent to the old instance email may be lost after this change has been made. Customers will likely need to update the email settings in their instance to reflect any previously implemented customization.
- If the customer is using Single Sign On through the Multi-Provider SSO plugin, they will need to check each of their Identity Provider records (Multi-Provider SSO > Identity Provider) and update any URLs in those settings which point to the old instance name.