Verify that the SMS Sender scheduled job is running
If an SMS message is listed in the Outbox for an unusual amount of time (the exact amount of time varies by instance and configuration), there may be an issue with the Short Message Service (SMS) Sender scheduled job. The SMS Sender scheduled job determines when a duplicate notification is going to be sent. Once an action or business rule is triggered, SMS messages are placed in the Outbox. All messages remain in a State of Ready until the events process job handles the request.
To check if the SMS message is stuck in the Outbox:
- Navigate to System Mailboxes > Outbound > Outbox.
- Add the following filter condition: [Notification type] [is] [SMS]
The Outbox should be empty or contain messages less than a few minutes old.
- Click Emails [Outbox view] and choose Refresh List.
If the same messages are listed in the Outbox, verify that the SMS Sender job is running.
To verify that the SMS Sender scheduled job is running:
- Navigate to System Scheduler > Today's Scheduled Jobs.
- In the Go to field, select Name and search for *SMS Sender.
- Open the SMS Sender record.
- Check the Next action field. When notifications function properly, the value of this field, which indicates the next time the job runs, is not more than a few minutes from the time you opened the record. If it is more than a few minutes, look at the State.
- To check the State field:
- Error or Queued: Change the state to Ready and click Update.
- Ready or Running: If the value of the Next action field is more than a few minutes from the time you opened the record, open an incident ticket and include the Next action value.
- Right-click the form header and choose Reload form.
The Next action field value should update. If the value is unchanged, open an incident ticket and include the value.