Any instance originally created prior to June 2010 does not have the Subscription Based Notifications plugin activated and may encounter the following issues during an upgrade.
- If the instance is upgraded to Dublin Patch 0, Dublin Patch 1, or Dublin EA 8: Certain base system email notifications may not function. Conditions will not evaluate properly for "Record Inserted or Updated" notifications.
- If the instance is upgraded to Eureka Patch 0 or Eureka Patch 1: The upgrade process will be significantly delayed while the Email [sys_email] table and its associated rotation shards are modified to add a new column to the table.
- Calgary, and Dublin instances will not be able to process new-style Email Notifications, which are designed to use "Record Inserted or Updated" features. Old-style event-based Notifications will continue to work fine
- Upgrading to Eureka Patch 0 or Eureka Patch 1 with many rows in the sys_email log tables, can cause a very long upgrade time. Tests show that an instance with 70 million sys_email records will take 8 hours to upgrade.
- During the upgrade/plugin activation, certain forms (such as Incident) will show errors and be unusable
- During the upgrade/plugin activation, no Notifications emails will be created or sent, and will be lost permanently. There is no way to re-generate those Notification emails
How will I know if my instance is affected?
Here are some possible questions you might have, with answers:
The best solution is to upgrade to Dublin Patch 3 or Eureka Patch 2.
If you are unable to upgrade to Dublin Patch 3, and are currently experiencing issues with Email Notifications, a workaround is to activate the Subscription Based Notifications plugin. See warning below:
Performance Warning: activating this plugin can take a very long time. Instances with 500,000 or more rows in the Email Log (e.g., sys_email table and its associated shards) should be scheduled for this change during off-hours. If your instance has millions of records, please contact the Customer Support Performance team to assist you with modifying your sys_email table and shards.
Related Problem: PRB598568