Troubleshooting email issues with ServiceNow
This article guides you through the process of troubleshooting email with ServiceNow. It provides steps to help you eliminate common causes of your problem by verifying that the configuration of your networking is correct.
Symptoms may include the following:
- Cannot send email
- Emails not being sent
- Email is down
- SMTP not working
- Not receiving incoming mail
- Inbound email not functioning
- Instance stopped receiving email
- Inbound email is not working
- Inbound email is broken
- Outbound email not working
- Email is delayed
Determine whether any of the troubleshooting steps below are true for your environment. Each step provides a link to an article that will help you eliminate possible causes and take corrective action as necessary.
- Verify that the instance is enabled to send email. For more information, see KB0524529: Verifying the instance is enabled to send email or KB0521775: Enabling Email Receiving.
- Verify that you are using the correct credentials for email. For more information, see KB0535520: Check email connection and credentials, KB0524524: Verifying custom POP settings, or KB0524531: Verifying the instance has the proper custom SMTP server settings.
- Verify if email has been provisioned, if you are connected to the mail server, or if your mail server is able to process email. For more information, see KB0524524: Verifying custom POP settings or KB0524531: Verifying the instance has the proper custom SMTP server settings.
- In addition to these steps, visit the troubleshooting notifications article for any additional information that may help: KB0538135: Troubleshooting email notification failures in ServiceNow.
|Note: If your problem still exists after trying the steps in this article: Submit an incident to Customer Support and note this Knowledge Base article ID (KB0538136) in the problem description. For more information, see Customer Support.|